Thursday, April 5, 2012

It starts somewhere

The Appalachian Trail is 2,184 miles long, passes through 14 states, takes approximately 5-6 months to complete, and is still in the midst of a heated debate regarding how the blazes the name is supposed to be pronounced in the first place (App-a-LAY-chun? App-a-LAH-chan? App-a-loos-a? App-ul-sauce?) I just call it The AT, both for conservation of syllables, and avoidance of dirty looks.

We're not leaving for the trail until March 2013, but I thought it would be good to get this underway sooner rather than later, so that I can document all of the planning. A lot of books start at the beginning of the adventure. I suppose this is the prologue, otherwise known as that part of the book you riffle through to get to Chapter One. If you are finding this blog sometime in 2013, feel free to skip ahead to March, so you can get the journey started. If you are finding this blog in real time, there's not a whole lot I can do for you, other than squeeze my eyes shut really tight, grind my teeth and WIIISSSHHHHH for time to skip forward to next year.

...It didn't work.

I hope you can forgive me.

The good thing about documenting the planning and acquisition of equipment is that later on, you can refer back to this part of the story and mock the mistakes I made in the planning process that will undoubtedly lead to embarrassing hilarity on the trail. How am I supposed to know that this particular brand of hiking pole will lead to me being covered in mud, stranded in the middle of a river? I look forward to that, dear reader.

This will be updated approximately once a month leading up to our journey, and probably more regularly during the month of February, when everything is revving up for our departure. I still haven't figured out how this will be updated while I'm hiking, considering the closest thing I will have to technology will be the zippers on my pack. Likely, I'll write things out and mail them to a friend when I find my way to a town. Either that, or I will train a NYC pigeon to carry my messages for me. I will name him Frank, and he will wear a bow tie.

1 comment:

  1. I would love to hear your thoughts sometime on your equip what you kept and liked vs what you wish you didn't bring, I am gearing up now, I am most curious if you liked your UL2, drawbacks?

    ReplyDelete