Sunday, May 19, 2013

Trail Days Accident

When I was a little girl, I had a sheepskin blanket that was very precious to me. It was warm, made of sheep's wool, and was the perfect shape for me to lay on when I was small. Even when I got too big for it, I would lay it over my pillow and sleep with my cheek snuggled into the fluff. It never really had a name, it was just a blanket.

One time when I was maybe 3 years old, my dad was very sad about something. He recounts that he was sitting on the stoop outside our house and I came out to him, dragging my blanket behind me like Linus.

"Here," I said, and put my blanket on his lap. I took his hand, and showed him how I would curl my little pinky finger in the fluffy wool when I was feeling sad, and it would make me feel better. My dad has told me that he felt better immediately because of this, but that it made him cry even more, which confounded my tiny child brain. It's funny how sometimes only the simplest things can be comforting. I'm trying just to stick with that, and find goodness in spite of what happened. We all tried to continue on and enjoy Trail Days as best as we could, and to soldier on.

I'm not really sure what to say about the tragedy that happened at Trail Days, except that it was an accident, and it really, truly sucked. If you haven't heard what happened, I'll add a link at the bottom of this post. I don't think I'd really be able to describe it well. Dumptruck and I were in the parade, about 75 feet ahead of where the accident happened. Some of our friends were right there, though no one we knew personally was hurt. A few of our friends were the ones that lifted the car up, and we are so grateful for them.

Our thoughts and hearts are with those who were directly injured by the accident.

Here's the news story, though I should let you know that the "number injured" in the article title is a bit overblown - the actual content of the article seems accurate though.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/witnesses-car-strikes-crowd-va-parade

2 comments:

  1. Hi Clever Girl and Dump Truck and all of Shanty Town. We are so happy you are all OK. We are so sorry about the injuries to the 50+ hikers. We also send our prayers out to the elderly driver of the car. Last we heard only one injured person was still in hospital as of 10am. Is there some way to help with medical expenses for injured? We have not been able to find any info.
    Congratulations on your award winning performance at the talent show! Take care going back to Daleville. See you soon.
    Love Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there! Your writing captures tragedy and triumph equally well, and we are proud of how you have handled this terrible situation. Stay safe! We think of all of you every day. Love, Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete