Monday, November 18, 2013

Hiker Trash - The Photos

Over the past 2 months Dumptruck has been editing down the 19,000 photos he took on the Appalachian Trail, working on them, and putting together a book. His plan is to have it available to buy online by early December. Dumptruck asked me to write the introduction for him, and today I began working on trying to summarize the entire trail into one single page of writing. So far all I have is a bunch of punctuation and a drawing of a mud monster.

Because I spent all day writing about the AT, my brain convinced me that I had already written a blog post. Well played, brain. Since I didn't want to rush one of the list entries, I am going to use my own poor time management as an excuse to plug for Mr. Michael "Dumptruck" Wilson's upcoming feast for your eyeballs.

Not to put too fine a point on it: this collection of photographs is going to blow your mind.

There are several books about the AT with lovely photos. Photos of the wilderness and the nature. No one yet has captured the spirit of the hikers. They call the AT "the people's trail" because of the bizarre and beautiful community it generates year after year. Dumptruck endeavored to authentically document that community, and although I might be biased, I that he has succeeded.

I will let you all know the moment that the book is completed and up for sale! The working title for the book right now is Hiker Trash. That will likely be the name, but I say it's the working title just in case it does happen to change.

In the meanwhile, here are a couple of teaser shots to get you excited! I seriously recommend looking at these on a a computer, and clicking on them to look at them full-size.

You can also follow Dumptruck's blog at:
http://mwphotographic.tumblr.com

We will return to our regularly scheduled posting for the 200 things on Wednesday.







2 comments:

  1. Those photos are awesome, and I'll definitely be purchasing that book! I actually have a question for you about hiking with a 'real' camera. I read where someone carried his dslr in some sort of front pack with extra padding. What did your husband do? Did it go in the big pack? How did he keep it 100% dry? How did he manage files? I'm guessing 19,000 pics weren't on one card. ;-) Any advice is much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Small town in the city. I carried a very small top zipped camera case on the front of my pack. I strung it through the shoulder straps and then clipped it into my hip belt. This set up kept it from bouncing around and made it super easy to grab on a moments notice. I used a shower cap to cover the case for a while, but a strong wind borrowed it one day and I never got it back. I did get water in the camera which caused the back to short out, but it was repaired by Canon, because they're amazing. I had 11 cards on hand and when about 7 cards were full I had a friend mail me a hard drive and would back up the cards up to the drive and mail it out. She would then back that drive up to another drive. It's all about redundancy. feel free to email with any other questions about cameras on the trail.

      Delete