Friday, May 16, 2014

109. Trail Days - Talent Show

So it's Trail Days this weekend down in Damascus, Virginia. Dumptruck and I aren't able to go because we weren't able to get the time off of work. We are SO SAD, and we wish we could be there more than anything. In honor of Trail Days, one of the greatest things about being a hiker and part of the hiker culture, I am going to do a couple of entries about all the different, delightful aspects of Trail Days. I'm afraid if I tried to put it all into one post, it would be super long.

The first thing I want to talk about is the Talent Show, which happens on the Saturday of Trail Days. This is a fantastic opportunity to be able to see all the hidden talents of your fellow hikers. Entries are only open to current thru-hikers, and it is typically a great showing of musical talent. Though it is hikers who perform, there are non-hikers and community members that are in the audience. Last year there were several singers, as well as a beat-boxer, a juggler, and someone who sang a song AND juggled.

And then, there was me, who was completely irreverent and probably a little too inappropriate given the setting. But I did it anyway, and somehow, won the thing. A year ago I promised that I would put up a video of my "Firework" dance if anyone took one, and as it turns out, someone did.

It's missing the first 30 seconds of the dance, so you don't get to see my sweet moves to the first verse, but the moves are, as I mentioned a moment ago, totally sweet. If I ever hang out with you in person, I would be happy to do this dance for you.

FAIR WARNING: I MOON EVERYONE AT THE END.

If you are not prepared to see a butt today, then this is probably not the right video for you to be watching.



The thru-hiker who took the video of my performance (Squirrel) also put up a couple of other videos from last year's Talent Show, which are really awesome and sincerely probably more talented than my ridiculous dance. I honestly didn't even know it was a competition talent show, and when I "won" I felt a little silly. What was particularly hilarious is that folks who weren't able to actually witness the talent show heard down the hiker grapevine about the performances, and my performance was apparently distilled down to the verbal clip: "This chick just got up on stage and mooned everyone and won the talent show."

I like to think that's all I did: Stone face, walk up on stage, no explanation or performance, just a butt.

This one is an original song about the Noro Virus, which is absolutely glorious.



This one is a cover of Tecumseh Valley, and it's adorable.



I wish I could be there to see this year's Talent Show, but I can only imagine that it's going to be incredible, as usual. If you live anywhere near Damascus, Virginia, you should check out Trail Days, and revel in the glory of the hiker fest.

Here are some fantastic photos taken from last year's Trail Days, by a photographer named Jason Barnette. If you scroll to the bottom, there are some great ones of other Talent Show performers:

Jason Barnette Photography - Trail Days 2013

Love,
Clever Girl


No comments:

Post a Comment