Wednesday, June 11, 2014

101. Photographing Your Journey

Hello everyone! This is Dumptruck doing a guest post on this wonderful blog! First off, I am not sure if most of you know how much Clever Girl appreciates all of you and how much she loves writing for such an amazing group of readers!

I wanted to share with you a few words about photography. After this past weekend's presentation Clever Girl and I did in Virginia, I was made very aware of the number of photographs that I took while hiking that will never see the light of day. It's not because they aren't good pictures, in fact it's the opposite. But it can be hard sometimes as a photographer to remember the fine art of editing.

The way my editing process works is a little confusing, but seems to work for me.  My initial selection is made based on what I am both emotionally attached to and what is a well composed interesting photograph. This is usually about 10% of the images taken. Following this I will sit down with a very critical eye and see what stands out from the first round. At this point I am usually sitting on about 3% of the original number of images.

For Northbound, the next step was laying the images out in a way that told a story. During this process many images came close to the final book layout but for one reason or another, some of them didn't make the final cut.

So now I would like to share some of those images with you!

Also if you are interested here is a wonderful article published in Rangefinder magazine about Northbound and about the process of self publishing books:
http://digitalmag.rangefinderonline.com/rangefinder/june_2014#pg60

Also in the spirit of shameless self promotion you can check out more of my work here: http://www.mwphotographic.tumblr.com
Or look through my print shop here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mwphotographic


















Love,
Dumptruck

5 comments:

  1. Hello Dumptruck! Bern and I took Northbound with us this year to share with the class of 14. At first we were nervous about passing it around, but what good is a book about hikers without a little hiker funk on it? We watched their faces and listened as they recognized the places they had been and then they all got silent as they saw where they were going. It was an amazing sight. We treasure your vision as well as our time with all of you. Blessings, Beth and Bern. P.S. Your wife is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey DumpTruck (Shadow Man). I know that most hikers try to block out the experience of Rocksylvania, but to replace it with Virginia in your mind... Hmmm. :)

    EarthTone

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome pics and blog, Dumptruck! Keep them coming! Love, Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just got book 221(thanks to Joe @ the AT museum). Wonderfully done.

    I would love to hear a bit more on how you managed image storage, battery life, keeping the camera safe, and the lens and other gear you brought. I'm a follow photog that wants to capture some of the same types of images on my hikes in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude. Must. Reprint. Book. Period.

    ReplyDelete