Friday, July 4, 2014

Hoppy Fort of Julie!

When I was an adolescent, while watching fireworks with my family, my father turned to me and asked,

"Do you think they have the Fourth of July in England?"

As I was a proud 7th grader who knew all about American history, I was struck by how unaware my otherwise brilliant father was acting. I laughed nicely (so as not to hurt his feelings before I gave him what was sure to be a beautifully crafted verbal dissertation on American independence) and shook my head, "Of course not!"

"Ah, okay," he nodded, looking thoughtful. A moment passed, then he looked at me with genuine concern and asked, "So then what day comes after the Third of July?"

----

We are in New York City for the wedding of some dear, dear friends of ours, and we had the incredible pleasure of being able to watch the NYC fireworks from a tall rooftop in Brooklyn. I hope that your Independence Day was wonderful, and that you got to hear at least one good Dad joke.

Photograph by Michael "Dumptruck" Wilson
Love,
Clever Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment