Monday, November 17, 2014

49. Not Having to Care What Day of the Week It Is

It's Monday.

When I was a little kid, I was really into school. I was also really into the comic strip Garfield. I never understood why Garfield hated Mondays. How could Garfield possibly hate Mondays? Mondays are when we get to be at school! I rationalized this as a child by deciding that as Garfield is a cat, he isn't allowed to go to school, and thus Mondays must a sad, terrible day of melancholy reflection for him as an unlearned feline.

If I could figure out how to bottle whatever potion my parents used to make me love school, I could sell it and be a bajilliquadripillionaire.

Now I'm a grownup, and I actually don't have any hatred for Mondays at all. Sometimes I'll be sad that my weekend is over, because I'll be doing something super fun... like maybe skiing down a marshmallow mountain strapped into my licorice skis, and hunting down wild gummi bears for my dinner. The best part about hunting gummi bears is once you catch 'em, you just grab 'em around the middle and squeeeeeze as hard as you can. And that's where Kool Aid comes from!

But even though I don't hate Mondays, I am still bound by having to rigidly know the day of the week. I have 3 different jobs, and if I woke up on a Thursday but accidentally followed my Friday schedule, there'd be a whole lot of people very confused and upset with me. I don't mind having to know the day of the week, it doesn't impact my capacity for joy. But it's just another aspect of being part of "The System", y'know, the one with "The Man."

When you are long-distance hiking, there's going to come a time that you wake up and make it until noon before you suddenly realize that you have no idea what day of the week it is. You might know that it's "Day 11" of your trip, but that's all you know. Not only that, but there's no way to figure out what day it is, without thinking about the first day you started and counting up from there on your fingers. Maybe you can do that sort of thinking in your mind, but I need my fingers.

The only downside of not knowing the day of the week is that there's no "weekend" built in, which means that you can end up hiking for weeks on end without a break. Yes, there are zero days, but there's not many times that you might take two zero days in a row. Those regular working folks get their weekend, but hikers don't have a good excuse built in to just lay around for 2 days and watch every episode of The Dick Van Dyke Show, or whatever it is you crazy kids do these days. You lazy bums.

Regardless, it is exceptionally freeing to know that you don't have to know the day. Each day is just a day. It doesn't fit into a week or have a certain role. It is just a day, and you do with it as you will.

Love,
Clever Girl

P.S.
I struggled with figuring out how to choose which photographs captured the essence of this feeling. Apparently, it's mostly like blowing bubbles?















1 comment:

  1. Keep up the blog! Love hearing about your life philosophy and it really brightens my day to have thought in the same way you do for a while.

    ReplyDelete